Thursday, May 28, 2009

What a guy!

Yesterday was water day at Samuel's school.  I didn't get any pictures for two reasons.  One is that Esther was asleep when I dropped Samuel off.  The other is that our camera's main lens is broken.  It's been breaking for awhile, about 2 years, and now won't work at all.  So there are no pictures from the water day to show.  

During water day the kids are encouraged to bring squirt guns to play with.  I saw this a couple of years ago.  It doesn't turn out well because the older kids get self-important, take the younger kids guns, and just decide that they deserve them.  This happened to Samuel's friend, Alex.  So yesterday when I went to pick Samuel up his teacher stopped me to tell me she was very proud of Samuel.  When this happened to Alex he was too afraid to go up the 4th grader to get his gun back.  So Samuel went with him.  But that's not all!  Samuel went up to the 4th grader looked him in the eye and said "That's his gun."  Then he just stood there looking at him until the 4th grader gave Alex his gun back.  

What a kid!  He was so brave and stood up for what was right without getting violent or yelling or crying!  We must have done something right!  It just goes to show that the truth is a powerful thing, and saying the truth can affect change.  I am such a coward about saying the truth so often, I suppose I could learn a thing or two from Samuel!

3 comments:

deaun said...

He's an awful "big man" for such a little guy.

Montay said...

Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for everything you are the best it is times like this that "show" you who your friends are so thanks

Mom said...

I'm very proud of Samuel for learning to do right and of his parents for teaching him.